Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Deborah Butterfield




Untitled (pinto)

By: Deborah Butterfield

Taken: http://www.gregkucera.com/butterfield.htm

One of my favorite artists to follow for new works from them or pieces published about them would have to be Deborah Butterfield. Her medium is sculptural which by far is my favorite to work with and the way that she forms her pieces to me is an intriguing process. I started following her work after I was emailed pictures of her pieces my freshman yeah of high school by a friend who had stumbled upon them and thought nothing more then, ‘Sadie like horses, I should send this to her.’ This piece is my favorite one of hers because it plays onto my love of not only horses but also horses with color pattern, (paints or pintos).

This piece by Deborah Butterfield is known as Untitled (pinto) 1978. The medium of mud and plaster over plaster over wood and steel gives it such interesting dynamic structure and texture. The steel structure of the piece gives it its basic form and its stability but for me it is really the plaster and mud layers that give this piece its life and real likeness to the type of horse it is meant to be portraying. The way that the mud gives definition to certain areas of the sculptures body and gives the audiences eye a nice eye flow to follow is far more then most would think mud would be capable of doing. The texture of the mediums together also brings an element of character to this piece, it could be representing the hair on a horses body as well as portraying some sense of emotional character giving this horse a rougher exterior rather then the smooth lines you see in a lot of Deborah Butterfields work.

http://www.gregkucera.com/butterfield.htm

1 comment:

  1. Great picture Sadie -one that i haven't seen before, and shows a different side to Butterfield's work. The 2nd paragraph, where you are talking about her methodology and materials is great. The first paragraph is a little distracted & rambling, but I do the same thing when i talk... so understood. Nice first entry. Still thinking of more recommended artists for you. Start looking in sculpture magazine. They represent female sculptors often enough that I'm sure you'll find more like her

    ReplyDelete